So last week I took the National Nutrition week challenge to include more veg in my day by having a vegetable filled breakfast every morning – heres how I went.
Monday: Mushroom and spinach fry up with avocado rye toast: Simply fry up some thinly sliced red onion and garlic in a little olive oil, add sliced mushrooms and a dash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and stir until wilted. Through in some spinach then serve on toasted rye bread topped with avocado. Sprinkle over some pepitas for crunch and you have a winner.
Tuesday: Quick spelt tortilla wrap with lots of veg (inspired by Jamie Oliver) : Mix up 80g wholemeal split flour, pinch of salt and 50ml water until you have a dough, tip it out onto a clean floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide dough into two then roll out with a rolling pin into a thin circle. Place in a hot frying pan and fry in one side until charred and bubbly. Repeat with the other half. Meanwhile take some fresh asparagus and green beans, wash then tip into a heated fry pan, add a little olive oil, salt and pepper and some halved tomatoes. Grill until charred. Serve veg on top of your wrap with sliced avocado, fresh or roasted red capsicum, a little chilli jam or chutney and a spoonful of creamed corn (or cottage cheese/egg for a protein hit).
Wednesday: Carrot, walnut and orange oats: cook up 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1-2tbsp chia seed, 1 grated carrot, grated zest of 1/2 orange, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, handful chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup water, 1 cup milk of choice until creamy. Add Stevia to taste or a little honey and serve with orange slices and extra walnuts.
Thursday: Pea and avocado smash. Boil, steam or microwave fresh or frozen peas, drain and place in a bowl with avocado flesh, torn mint leaves, quartered cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper and lemon juice and give it all a gentle mash and bash with a fork. Pile on top of your favourite wholegrain bread and sprinkle with some sesame seeds or dukkah.
Friday: green rice breakfast salad: combine cooked green rice (or brown rice) with mint leaves, berries, sliced celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, sprouts, chopped almonds, handful seeds, chopped avocado, julienned apple and a little spinach. Top with a dressing made of tahini, orange and lemon juice, salt, pepper, olive oil and a spoonful of greek yoghurt.
Saturday: Sweet potato and zucchini rosti
- 1 cup grated sweet potato
- 1 zucchini, grated
- ½ red onion very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- extra olive oil for frying
- 1 cob corn, de husked
- ½ red capsicum, finely chopped
- handful coriander, chopped
- large handful cherry tomatoes, quartered
- lemon or lime juice
- For the rosti combine all ingredients in a bowl mixing well and adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan on med-high heat. Add a good glug of olive oil so the rosti don't stick. Place ¼ cup amounts of rosti mix in the pan, flattening with the back of a spoon to become flat. Fry until golden on one side then flip, cooking the other side. Repeat until all mix is used up.
- For the salsa: rub a little oil over your corn then place in a griddle pan or a BBQ and grill until lightly charred, turning occasionally. using a sharp knife, remove the corn kernels from the cobb then combine in a small bowl with remaining ingredients, adding pepper to taste.
- Serve with rosti.