A simple carrot salad that makes a great side (or snack if you are as weird as me!). This would go well with spicier mains like curries or with a barbecue.
Whats good about it: almonds are a good source of monounsaturated fats which are great for heart health. Carrots are a great source of beta carotene (converted to vitamin A in the body) and are a source of fibre. Pomegranate is a great source of polyphenols and vitamin C, both which act as antioxidants in the body, helping to protect against oxidative damage.
- 4 carrots
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed
- ½ cup almonds (toasted if preferred)
- 1 tsp coriander seed, crushed
- seeds of ½ large pomegranate
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Grate the carrots (I do this in a food processor) and place in a large bowl. Chop the almonds and the parsley coarsely and add to the carrot. Add the coriander seed and pomegranate seeds and mix everything up well.
- Mix up the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper, pour over the carrot salad.
- Serve and enjoy.