I must admit, the first time I tried quinoa porridge, I was not a fan. That was with quinoa flakes and they were nowhere near as good as rolled oats. I then discovered that you can use whole quinoa cooked up with lots of almond milk to make a creamy porridge that doesn’t disappoint. Adding Apple and cinnamon gives it a lovely natural sweetness and makes it taste a little bit like apple pie too. I love to top this with some banana or more apple and tahini to make it complete.
The nourishing facts: quinoa is a whole grain (ok actually a seed) that is famous for its high (complete) protein content but also contains fibre and many vitamins and minerals. Cinnamon can help regulate blood sugar levels.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in plenty of water and drained
- 2½ cups milk of choice
- 1 large apple grated (can leave skin on)
- 1 cinnamon stick or ½ - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey or maple (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients except honey in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until it is soft and creamy looking, add more milk if desired.
- Add honey or maple to your liking.