I hate ever having to skip breakfast, but sometimes its just too hard to get a bowl of cooked oats together in the morning when time isn’t on your side (especially if you’re cooking rolled oats from scratch!). ‘ why I love overnight oats so much. All you have to do is soak your oats the night before in your favourite milk and whatever flavourings and then in the morning you can either heat them up as an instant porridge or eat it cold like a bircher muesli. They can even be made in a jar so they are all ready to grab and go in the morning. No excuses not to eat breakfast here.
These overnight oats are flavoured with mashed banana, tahini and mesquite, giving the dish a lovely sweet and slightly fudgey flavour. If you don’t have mesquite you can easily substitute it with any other powder you have on hand, likewise if you don’t have the tahini you can substitute any nut butter. This is great served cold with seasonal fruit and a dollop of greek yoghurt.
Nutrition: oats are a great source of fibre and low Gi carbs which will help keep you fuller for longer. Tahini is a great source of calcium, really important for your bones, teeth and muscle contractions. Chia seed provides heaps of omega 3, protein and fibre too.
- 1 cup rolled oats (or half oats, half oat bran)
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tsp stevia
- ½ -1 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp mesquite
- 1⅓ cups milk of choice (I use almond milk or soy)
- fruit and yoghurt, to serve
- Mix together all ingredients well.
- Place in a sealed container or jar an store in fridge overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Give mix a stir, add extra milk if desired and serve hot or cold with extra fruit and/or yoghurt.