Who doesn’t love banana bread? Served toasted with a little butter or maple syrup or eaten fresh from the love, it’s kind of hard to resist and you can buy it on the go at most cafes too. But can I share a secret with you? The banana bread you buy in cafes isn’t actually banana bread… it’s banana cake in disguise. Everyone associates banana bread with being a healthy snack choice but in truth it has so much refined sugar, oil and white flour it might as well be cake.
I wanted to create a banana bread that was healthy enough to have for a snack or breakfast but also tasted as good as the original and thats how this banana bread was born, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Whats good about it: The use of oats and ground flax means that this bread is high in fibre, bananas give a natural sweetness so less sugar/sweetener has to be used, lowering the sugar content.
Best Ever Banana Bread
1 1/3 cups rolled oats
2 large or 3 small ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut oil melted (or will work with canola or rice bran oil too)
1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar or stevia for baking (such as Natvia)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 cup ground flax
1 banana, extra for decoration (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Blend oats in a blender or food processor until a smooth flour forms.
- Combine oil, eggs, vanilla and banana in a bowl, add oat flour, baking powder, bicarb, sugar and flax. Stir until well combined.
- Pour into a loaf pan lined with baking paper, decorate with extra banana if desired.
- Bake for 25-35 mins until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
Variation: add in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, dates, dried figs or chocolate chips to take your banana bread to the next level (I love putting in both walnuts and dates).