Crispy, crunchy, sweet. Who doesn’t love granola? Often the shop bought varieties are full of refined sugar, oils and processed ingredients, more like a crumbly biscuit so its best to make your own at home. It will not only be healthier but also way more delicious as you can add whatever you like to vary the flavours. This fig and caramel granola is my favourite combination yet, with blended dates and mesquite giving a lovely caramel flavour and figs adding in a sweet chewy surprise.
The trick to making good granola is to not bake it at too high heat otherwise you will end up with overly browned granola that hasn’t dried out to be crunchy enough yet. Also, never bake any dried fruit into the granola, add it after so you don’t end up with burnt or dull looking fruity bits.
Whats good about it: Oats and buckwheat are great sources of fibre and wholegrain complex carbohydrates as well as being rich in B vitamins. Flax seed is a great source of omega 3 as well as fibre. is suitable for vegans and those with dairy allergy.
- Wet mix :
- 10 fresh dates
- 3tbsp almond milk
- 3 tbsp rice bran oil
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1¾ cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground/whole flax
- ½ cup buckwheat groats
- 2 large handfuls coconut flakes
- 1 large handful almonds
- Spoonful mesquite powder (optional)
- ¼ cup pepitas/sunflower seeds
- 6 large dried figs, chopped
- ¼ cup raisins or sultanas or other dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees celcius
- For the wet mix, blend up dates, almond milk, oil, rice malt and vanilla in a small bottle blender/ food processor until smooth.
- Combine oats, flax, buckwheat, coconut, almonds, mesquite and seeds in a large bowl. Add the wet mix to the dry mix and combine thoroughly. Add more oats if very sticky.
- Line a large baking tray with nonstick paper and spread mix out evenly.
- Bake for approx 40 minutes (may need more or less time depending on oven) until the granola has dried out and crispy. Give the granola a stir around halfway though baking so it cooks evenly.
- stir through dried fruit and chopped figs when done.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Will last a week or two. If it goes a bit stale just crisp it up in the oven again for a few mins.