The old tabouli gets a summer makeover here by replacing the bulgar wheat with grated cauliflower or “cauliflower rice”. It sounds a bit strange to use raw cauliflower in a salad but it is actually delicious for something so simple. Serve this with felafel or your favourite veggie burgers and plenty of hummus. Also good wrapped up in a buckwheat wrap.
This makes a much lighter version and is a great alternative for those with IBS or coeliac disease.
Nutrition: Cauliflower has a low energy density, making this a lower kilojoule dish than the original. Also cauliflower is rich in vitamin K which helps your blood to clot (just don’t overdo it if you happen to be on blood thinners). Extra virgin olive oil is high in antioxidants and monounsaturated fats and is known for its benefits to the heart.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small salad onion or red onion
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1.5 cups chopped tomato
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 2 small lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grate the cauliflower, zucchini and onion and place all 3 veg in a bowl - you can do this by hand but if you have a grating attachment for you food processor its so much easier and quicker.
- Finely chop the parsley and add it to the bowl (or chuck it in the food processor)
- Add the chopped tomatoes.
- Mix together the lemon juice and olive oil and pour over the salad.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper