Let me introduce you to a cheese cake that is going to blow your mind. Are you ready? it doesn’t actually contain any cheese or even any dairy. In fact, this cheesecake is completely free from any animal products so it is vegan friendly and is gluten free too.
Its amazing how soaking and blending cashews turns them into a smooth and creamy cheesecake filling that even the most dedicated cheesecake eaters will love.
I love the combination of chocolate and mint, its worth trying to get the fresh peppermint leaves if you can (we grow it ourselves) but if you can’t then peppermint essence works just as well too.
Whats good about it: replacing cream cheese with avocado and cashews means that you lower the saturated fat content and increase the healthy monounsaturated fats of this cheesecake. Peppermint is known to be good for digestion (perfect after a meal) while cacao powder is high in antioxidants.
- For the base:
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 8-10 fresh pitted medjool dates
- 1⅓ cups raw cashews
- 1 handful peppermint leaves (or use a small amount of peppermint essence and a handful of spinach)
- 1½ ripe avocados
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1tbsp maple syrup, extra
- Cacao nibs, to decorate (optional)
- Soak cashews in plenty of fresh water for 4 hours or overnight.
- For the base:
- Combine almonds, sunflower seeds and dates in a food processor until crumbly and beginning to stick together when you pinch a little between your fingers.
- Line a loaf pan with non stick paper and press nut mix into the base.
- Freeze while you make the filling.
- Drain cashews from soaking water and rinse well.
- Combine cashews and mint leaves in food processor until smooth and creamy then blend in 1 avocado (keep other half aside) and ⅓ cup maple.
- Scoop out half the mix and set aside.
- To the remaining ½ mix in the processor add the other ½ avocado, 1 tbsp maple and cacao.
- Blend this up until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate filling over the base then freeze until set.
- Spread over the mint filling on top of the chocolate layer and top with cacao nibs.
- Freeze until set and serve