You know those morning when you are so hungry by 10.30, your stomach has forgotten breakfast ever happened and you are craving something, anything sweet and carbohydrate filled? Yep happens to the best of us and more often for others. This porridge eliminates mid morning hunger and fills you up right until lunch time. No mid morning latte and muffin combo needed.
Whats good about it: buckwheat is a good source of protein and carbohydrate which will together keep you fuller for longer and give yo the energy to get through the morning. Using soy milk rather than just water to cook this dish increases the protein further, provides calcium and makes the porridge so lovely and creamy. The chia and flax seed are great sources of Omega 3 which is great for the brain and heart and may reduce inflammation. These little seeds also increase the fibre content of the dish. Cinnamon may help reduce blood glucose levels and slow stomach emptying, but only if you eat heaps in one sitting!
- 1 cup raw buckwheat (buckwheat groats)
- 1.5 cups soy milk or milk of choice
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp sunflower or pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- ¼ cup flaked coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp cinnamon or more
- Natvia, black molasses or maple syrup to taste
- 1 banana per person
- coconut oil or rice bran oil to grease
- Place the buckwheat in a bowlful of water and leave to soak for 30 mins-1 hour. Drain and rinse.
- Place rinsed buckwheat in a medium saucepan with the water and milk, bring to the boil. Add the sunflower seeds and chia seed and run down to a simmer. Allow to cook for a further 10 minutes and add remaining ingredients. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the buckwheat is soft and tender (but not disintegrated into mush). Add extra milk as it cooks if needed.
- Add stevia/molasses or maple to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frypan over med-high heat and add a dab of coconut oil (or other oil of choice) to melt and spread, split the banana (s) lengthwise and place face down into the hot pan. Allow to cook until golden and caramelised and flip, cooking the authorised briefly.
- To serve: place some of your porridge into your bowl and top with the sautéed banana. Sprinkle over any extra nuts or seeds you desire and enjoy.