Chewy, sweet with the crunch of macadamia nuts, these honey macadamia and apricot cookies are ridiculously moorish! We recently received some fresh macadamia’s from a neighbour still in their shells and its amazing how much more delicious freshly cracked macadamias are compared to shop bought! However, if you have ever had to crack open macadamia nuts, you will know how tough the outer shells can be. I recommend getting your biggest, heaviest hammer (or maybe a vice?) and combining with plenty of patience – be prepared for mess.
Whats good: macadamias are rich in monounsaturated fats. Just a handful of nuts a day have been found to reduce the risk of heart disease!
- 85g butter or nuttelex
- 110g honey - I used a lemon myrtle one
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ⅔ cup wholemeal spelt flour
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
- ⅔ cup chopped, roasted macadamias
- Preheat oven to 170C
- Place rolled oats, flour, coconut, apricots and macadamias in a mixing bowl and combine well.
- Combine butter and honey in a small saucepan until melted.
- Combine the bicarb soda and water in a small cup then quickly pour into the butter/honey mix. This will start to foam up, pour into the mixing bowl and add the vanilla. Mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Place tbsp sized balls of mix onto a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper, squishing down slightly.
- Cook in oven for approx 15 mins until golden.