Lemon and vanilla protein balls. Need I say more?
Ok, I will anyway.
These balls are packed full of protein and some good fats to keep going in between meals. You can use any protein powder you like here, I recommend paying a little bit extra for a quality protein that is easily digested, contains all essential amino acids and is not full of unnecessary fillers.
Because these balls have been made without dates or honey, they are also low fructose (and low Fodmap depending on your choice of protein) which means they are suitable for those with IBS or who have trouble tolerating fructose in large amounts. Omit the almonds in favour of the same amount of oats/extra seeds if you want to make these nut free (and suitable for school lunch boxes).
- ½ cup coconut
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup almonds
- zest of 2 lemons, grated
- juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup vanilla protein powder (see note)
- 3 tbsp rice malt syrup
- 3 tbsp tahini (or coconut oil if you prefer)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- extra coconut, to roll
- In a food processor or blender, blend up coconut, almonds, sunflower seeds and lemon zest until fine and crumbly.
- If using a blender, tip this mix into a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients, mix well until a dough forms.
- If using a food processor, add remaining ingredients and pulse briefly until all is combined. Add a little water if needed.
- Roll mixture into small balls and roll in extra coconut.
- Keep in the fridge if you don't eat them all straight away.