Another Baked oats recipe from the archives, this one is just a (pretty decent sized) serving for one. I love it when mangoes first come into season, not only do they become affordable and taste amazing (frozen just isnt the same) but it also signals that summer is not only coming but very nearly here. It gets even better when mangoes get really cheap and you can pick up a whole box for under $20. Thats when the fun begins.
But back to the oats. You can either soak the mix overnight or just throw it together in the morning and leave to soak for a few minutes or so then out it in the oven. So easy. Alternatively if you are in for a scorching day and dont feel like a hit breakfast you can leave the baking powder out of the soaked oats and eat them as overnight oats (like a bircher muesli). Delish.
Nutrition: mangoes are high in vitamin C, fibre and beta carotene. Ready to drink coconut milk is lower in fat than traditional canned coconut milk and also has calcium added.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed or chia seed
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- ½ tsp finely grated lime zest
- ½ cup + 1tbsp ready to drink coconut milk (we used vitasoy but any will work)
- 2 tsp brown sugar/ maple syrup or stevia - to taste
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup firmly packed chopped mango
- 1 mango cheek, cubed to serve
- Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl except for baking powder and mango.
- Let soak for at least 20 mins or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Mix in baking powder then spoon mix into a small oiled tart tin or oven safe baking dish/ramekin.
- Top with the ¼ cup chopped mango and press in lightly.
- Bake for around 15- 20mins or until set.
- Serve with extra chopped mango and a squeeze of lime juice if desired.