Just like the warm weather, strawberry season is finally upon us. Celebrating finally having sweet and juicy strawberries in abundance with these individual sourdough baked oats for a lazy Saturday breakfast.
The sourdough part you might be wondering about though. I was recently introduced to this concept of fermenting oats and water into a sourdough kind of mix through Dearna’s blog To Her Core, you can find her recipe for sourdough oats here – its ridiculously easy, juts make sure you start it a few days ahead of making this recipe.
The benefits: like yoghurt, fermented foods contain beneficial bacteria which can help to keep you gut healthy. Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C and anti-oxidants, helping your body to repair daily damage to DNA.
- ½ cup sourdough oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup milk of choice (I used soy here)
- ½ apple, grated
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp stevia or sweetener of choice
- 3 tsp strawberry jam
- 3 strawberries
- Strawberries, extra to serve
- Place oats, sourdough oats, milk, chia, vanilla, sweetener and apple in a bowl, stir to combine, adding more milk if needed. Leave to soak for 20-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Grease 3-4 x 12cm tart pans or similar oven proof baking dishes. mix baking powder into oat mix then divide mix between dishes. Swirl through 1 tsp of jam into the top of each and top with a sliced strawberry.
- bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden on top and only just set.
- Serve with plenty of extra sliced strawberries.