The other day we picked up a giant 3kg box of seconds strawberries from the local strawberry farm. They were so sweet and delicious they nearly didn’t make it into the jam they were destined for, but we managed to have some leftover to make baked oats with.
If you have never tried baked oats before then you definitely should start with this one while strawberries are in season and at their best. Baked oats have become a sort of Sunday morning tradition in my house, all you have to do is mix everything up the night before then add baking powder in the morning and bake. Too Easy. If you forget, you can also do it in the morning and just leave to soak for a few minutes before baking.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1½ bananas, mashed
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup chopped strawberries
- 2 cups milk of choice (I use almond or soy)
- 2 Tbsp Natvia stevia for baking ( or any sweetener of choice)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- extra strawberries and banana, to serve
- Mix together all ingredients except for baking powder and leave to soak for at least 15 mins or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Mix in the baking powder to the oat mix then pour mix into an oven safe baking dish.
- Bake for approx 30 minutes or until just set.
- Enjoy with extra fruit and some yoghurt on the side.