Its national Nutrition week this week (October 11-18) and this years challenge is to the try for 5 challenge – getting 5 serves of veg in each day, you can sign up to take the challenge here.
It’s no secret I love my veggies and recently I have really been getting into having them for breakfast too. By starting the day with a serve of veg you’re already on your way to meeting those 5 serves. Plus it can help get you out of that breakfast rut, get more nutrients in and cut out the typical sugary breakfast choices (move over cereal!).
Some simple ideas to add more veggies into your morning meal:
- Add vegetables to omelettes: sliced mushroom, spinach, tomato, onion or capsicum all work really well.
- Make a toastie: grab some beautiful grainy bread or quality sourdough; fill it with mashed avocado, sliced tomato, spinach and pepper and toast. Cheese optional.
- Easy toast toppers: avocado and tomato is my all time fave combo but you don’t have to stop there, try bruschetta style: cubed tomato, basil, red onion and a little balsamic, or Mexican style with coriander, drained canned kidney beans, chilli, tomato, pepper. Grated carrot and dukkah is also a weird but awesome combo, add avocado or a thin spread of ricotta to take it to the next level.
- Bubble and squeak: throw those leftover veg from last night into a pan with a little olive oil and serve on a nice bit of grainy toast or cook in an egg.
This week I challenged myself to have a veggie breakfast everyday for a week – follow my Instagram for progress or check back at the end of the week for the round up!
Here’s this morning’s choice:
- Olive oil
- Pumpkin, peeled and roasted/steamed/microwaved until tender
- tinned or freshly cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- pinch chilli powder
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch cumin
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- rocket leaves
- rye bread, toasted
- pepitas, optional
- Heat the oil in a pan then add the chickpeas and pumpkin, stirring it around until heated, smashing lightly with the back of the spoon.
- Add the spices, salt and pepper to taste and squeeze over some lemon.
- Mix in the rocket until just starting to wilt then pile on top of your rye bread.
- Sprinkle over some pepitas if desired.